At one point or the other in our lives, we all have felt hungry. It may be due to delay in our schedule stopping us from having breakfast or lunch; it may be because of self-imposed fast; or because of temporary lack. No matter the reason, we all have an idea of what it would feel like to go days without food. This is the unfortunate situation of a huge number of people all around the world, whose fight against hunger is compounded by food insecurity.
According to WHO, “more than 820 million people are hungry globally”. That’s 1 in 9 people. It is quite difficult to wrap our heads around this statistics, especially when we’re far away from perpetual hunger. So, what can we do to help? I’m glad you asked. You too can help alleviate world hunger, whether it’s in your community or elsewhere around the world.
- You can make donations to your local orphanage. It is a mistake to assume that children in orphanages are well taken care of and already have all their needs met. Many orphanages struggle to provide food, without well-meaning donations from strangers. During the holidays, several people make it a duty to visit the orphanages. There are others who do it on occasions that are special to them, like birthdays and such. And there are those who just go there every other day. Try making a donation to an orphanage, and see how much it is appreciated.
- Visit the websites of reputable organisations to make a donation. There are several established organisations out there trying to make a difference. You do not only encourage them when you make a donation, you also make a traceable difference. These are some websites where can make a donation: https://www.actionagainsthunger.org; https://thp.org; https/www.riseagainsthunger.org; https://help.unicef.org, and many others. Here also, we may be tempted to think our donation will have no impact because these are big organisations. There’s nothing farther from the truth. Your donation, along with those of several other people, keeps these organisations afloat. That’s how millions of people are helped. On most of these websites, you can also witness the impact of your donations.
- Download an app on your smartphone. This is perhaps one of the most convenient ways to help feed a child. Share the Meal is an app you can download, and make immediate donations to help feed children. You can donate as little as $1 to help fight hunger.
- Start your own NGO. You can always establish your own charity organisation to help fight hunger. Though, there is a myriad of NGOs already dedicated to the cause, your effort definitely won’t be in vain. You can be devoted to helping farmers also, as they remain at the forefront of the fight. Furthermore, you can seek assistance from people through your platform. If you’ve got enough time also, you can volunteer to existing organisations.
- Be ready to lend a helping hand anytime, anywhere. Sometimes, we stumble upon the homeless by chance. Other times, the needy would walk up to us begging for alms. And there are moments too when our different institutions would call for donations. It might be your local church or mosque, or school, or social club that are planning to dispense provisions or meals to the needy. I guess we could be caught off guard sometimes, and it’s always nice to be to able to contribute.
The world hopes to achieve Zero Hunger by 2030. However, recent trends are not encouraging. But, if everyone shows the will to make it achievable, then we can get there.
The problem of hunger is further compounded by several difficulties faced by farmers all over the world. So, it is also imperative for everyone to make changes that would allow for more sustainable farming. We should encourage and respect farmers whenever we can, and also follow guidelines to reduce global warming.