THE SENATE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA
Committee on the Review of the 1999 Constitution
National Assembly Complex,
P. M. B. 141, Gorki, Abuja-Nlgeria
• Zonal Public Hearing –
I, Chairman and members of the Senate Committee on the Review of the 1999 Constitution cordially invite the General public, Government functionaries, Civil Society/Interest Groups, Professional Bodies and other interested persons to a 2-day Zonal Public Bearing on “The Proposed Alteration to the Provisions of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. 1999”, holding at two centres in each of the 6 (Six) Geo-political Zones as follows:
1. North-Central Jos Centre (Plateau, Nasaraws and Benue), Minna Centre (Niger. Kwara, Kogi and FCI)
- North-East – Bauchi Centre (Bauchi, Yobe and Borno), Gombe Centre (Gombe, Tarnba and Adamawa)
- North-West – Kaduna Centre (Kaduna, Kano, Jigawa and Katsina), Sokoto Centre (Sokoto. Kebbi and Zamfara)
- South-East – Owerri Centre (Imo and Abia), Enugu Centre (Enugu, Ebonyi and Anambra)
- South-South – Asaba Centre (Delta, Edo and Bayelsa) Port Harcourt Centre (Rivers. Cross River and Akwa-Ibom)
- South-West – Lagos Centre (Lagos, Oyo and Ogun), Akure Centre (Osun and Ondo)
Date: Wednesday 26’h May & Thursday 27’h May, 2021 .
Time: 10:00am — 5:00pm daily.
Issues for the Public Hearing:
- Gender Equity/Increased participation of Women and Vulnerable groups in governance
- The Federal Structure in governance and Power Devolution
- Local Government Administration/Local Government autonomy
- Public Revenue, Fiscal Federalism and Revenue Allocation
- Constitutional Provision for the Establishment of State Police
- Judicial Reform – Adjudication of election and pre-election matters and other justice delivery noncoms.
- Electoral Reforms that will make INEC deliver transparent, credible, free and fair elections, Political parties, Independent candidature and election management
- Socio-cconomic rights as contained in Chapter II of the Constitution.
- Residency and indigeneship
- Immunity — Removal of immunity in prima facie criminal cases
- Time-line for Assent of Bills and Passage of Appropriation Bill
- States and local government creation
- Strengthening the independence of institutions like the office of the Accountant General of the Federation, Auditor General of the Federation and Office of the Attorney General of the Federation.
- F.C.T. Administration
- The Legislature and Legislative Bureaucracy
- Constitutional Roles for Traditional Rulers
- Any other issues that promote the unity and good governance of the Nigerian nation.
For further enquiries; contact the Clerk to the Committee, Dr. Innocent Mcbiri on: 08037092195 or 08055307604, via email: sers8nass®gmail.com
Sen. Ovie Omo-Agege Deputy President of the Senate/Chairnan Senate Committee on the Review of the 1999 Constitution