A hybrid cloud is a virtual environment that combines the functions of a private cloud, public clouds and third party services to perform a series of computing functions on a shared space.
What this signifies is that a hybrid cloud has the capacity to allow work flow between public and private clouds, giving entities and organisations more flexible powers to utilize data in more creative ways. This allows work loads to to be easily performed between public and private clouds.
In a nutshell, it orchestrates a level playing ground between the two, creating a platform that allows users utilize both functions in a single offering – a hybrid cloud.
• Requirements for the Establishment of a Hybrid Cloud
You will need:-
– A public cloud computing service provider like, Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure.
– A privately built cloud from a private cloud provider that will be compatible to the public cloud platform.
– A Wide Area Network (WAN). The WAN will bridge the connectivity gap between the public and private cloud computing services.
• Key to building a Hybrid Cloud
The major key for the successful establishment of a hybrid cloud is to incorporate ‘cloud software layers’ and ‘hypervisor’ which is compatible with the one provided by the public cloud service provider.
This makes sure there is easy synchronisation and free flow of operations and services within the hybrid cloud.
Again, the creation or use of a services and softwares compatible with the public cloud aenables seamless migration between and through private and public clouds.
You can as well contract a developer to create it for you.
• BENEFITS AND USE OF HYBRID CLOUD✓
a) Hybrid cloud computing allows an organisation the freedom of establishing an on-premises private cloud.
b) Establishment of this cloud enables the organisation or person host important workloads like test and development using other third party based public clouds.
c) Hybrid clouds ensures adaptability and dynamism in workloads and critical workstations. An example is witnessed during huge demand spikes on a particular server.
d) Hybrid cloud essentially allows the user higher computing power for a larger data processing.
e) It also allows for versatility in its usage.
CHALLENGES ASSOCIATED WITH HYBRID CLOUDS
Though hybrid clouds has numerous advantages and benefits, it goes without saying that it also habours some of its own challenges.
• Construction/establishment and maintenance is a challenge due to the cost and expertise it requires.
• The API compatibility may be an issue.
• There may be service disruptions too caused by third party related challenges.
However, one of the means of bypassing this challenge is to use more than one public cloud host.
TOOLS YOU CAN USE TO MANAGE A HYBRID CLOUD
Some popular management tools include –
• Egenera PAN Cloud Director.
•IBM Cloud Orchestrator.
• Cisco CloudCenter.
• RightScale Cloud Management.
• Scale Enterprise Cloud Management Platform.
• BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management.
• Abiquo Hybrid Cloud.
• Red Hat CloudForms.
• VMware vCloud Suite.